Sunday, November 16, 2014

District Wide Information

Getting Kids to Love Reading

I continue to search, find and read about ideas to get kids to love reading.  I love reading and know much about why reading is beneficial to you no matter your age, but getting kids to love reading is something that doesn't happen with taking an AR quiz or writing a book report.  As in this article, Jon Scieszka on How to Get Kids to Love Reading, the focus isn't on how important or good it is to love reading, but allowing kids to read what they love is the beginning of developing that love for reading.  Gretchen Rubin's post Now I Stop Reading a Book If I Don't Enjoy It. Do You? reminds us that we have the permission to stop reading a book if we are not enjoying it.  My son loved reading the Artemis Fowl series when he was young.  I wanted to read them too to share what he enjoyed and to be able to tell other students, "Hey read this book, it is great!"  I tried several times to read the first book in the Artemis Fowl series.  I never finished it.  It still sits in my "books to read" pile on my night stand, but I continue to choose other books over this one.  It is important for kids to learn that it is just as important to abandon a book they aren't enjoying as it is to read books because we can't put them down.  This is that love of reading.

Copyright

Copyright with Cyberbee offers information about copyright for teachers and students.  It also has an interactive Q & A resource to incorporate with lessons as appropriate for what you are teaching.  Check it out and help raise student awareness about copyright.

No comments: